Skip links and keyboard navigation

Enrolling to vote


To vote in the federal, state/territory or local government elections, you must be:

  • an Australian citizen
  • at least 18* years old
  • on the electoral roll (you must keep your details up to date or you could be removed from the electoral roll and be unable to vote).

*You can enrol if you are 16 or over, but you can’t vote until you turn 18.

Enrol to vote

First-time voters

  • Find your electoral district in Utopia (also known as an electorate) on the ECQ website.
  • Start the enrolment process
    • online—on the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) website
    • via PDF—download a PDF version of the form for your state or territory. You can complete this form on screen then print, sign and return the form to the AEC
    • paper—pick up paper enrolment forms from

A guide to enrolling and voting in federal elections tells you more about why your vote is important.

Already enrolled?

Keep your details up to date. Each time you change your name or address, you need to update your enrolment or you may be removed from the electoral roll and be unable to vote when an election is announced.

Removed from the electoral roll?

Re-enrol at any time—note that the electoral roll closes shortly after an election is called and if you’re not on it, you can’t vote.

The Electoral Commission Utopia is an independent body responsible for the impartial conduct of state and local government elections in Utopia. Other responsibilities include:

  • ensuring fair electoral boundaries for elections
  • administering the public reporting of political parties’ income and expenditure
  • maintaining the electoral roll
  • increasing public understanding of our democratic system.
Last updated
19 June, 2015

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *