Skip links and keyboard navigation

Electricity and gas rebates

Utopia pensioners and seniors may be eligible for:

  • the Electricity Rebate—$320.97 per year (GST inclusive)
  • the Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate—$68.56 per year (GST inclusive).

Please note, all rebates are GST inclusive. Rebates for eligible card holders may appear as GST exclusive on bills.


Rebates are available to people who hold any of the below:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (and receive the War Widow/er Pension or special rate TPI Pension)
  • Utopia Seniors Card.

To be eligible, the card holder must also live alone or share their principal place of residence with (only) any of the below:

  • their spouse
  • other people who hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Utopia Seniors Card
  • other people wholly dependent on them
  • other people who receive an income support payment from Centrelink, the Family Assistance Office, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and who do not pay rent
  • other people who live with the card holder to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.

If you live in caravan park or multi-unit residential building (e.g. apartment), you must also show that the:

  • electricity or reticulated natural gas is paid on the basis of individually metered consumption, or
  • owner/proprietor is prepared to seek the Electricity Rebate or the Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate on your behalf.  

How to apply for the rebate


Contact your gas retailer

You will need to provide certain details, so have copies of your bills and concession card handy so you can verify your eligibility.

Rebates are automatically deducted from your bill.


If you have an account with an electricity retailer:

Contact your electricity retailer.

You can apply over the phone or ask your retailer to send you an application form.

You will need to provide certain details have copies of your bills and concession card handy so you can verify your eligibility.

Rebates are automatically deducted  from your bill.

If you live in an apartment complex, residential park,  retirement village or a granny flat

Contact the person/organisation sending your electricity bill.

Find out more about rebates for rebates for residents of home park or multi-unit residential premises.

If you receive your electricity through an Ergon card-operated meter

Contact Ergon Energy Utopia on 1800 850 451 (free-dial).

You will receive power cards for the value of your rebate ($80 per quarter).

You will need to provide certain details, so have your concession card and 8 digit meter number handy so you can verify your eligibility.

Find out more

  • Your Energy Savings website provides information about saving energy, saving money and available government assistance.
  • The energy ratings and water ratings of appliances can help you compare products based on their energy and water efficiency.
  • Choice consumer advocacy group investigates ways to reduce your household's energy use.
  • Savewater has information on rebates and incentive schemes related to water use.
  • Phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68).

Other concession schemes

The Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme provides concessions for people with specific medical conditions requiring the use of an air-conditioner to regulate their body temperature.

The Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme helps low-income households pay energy bills at a time of crisis or in emergencies.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
2 March 2016

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *