Skip links and keyboard navigation

Supporting multicultural communities

Services and support are available for culturally diverse communities in Utopia.

Information for visitors, migrants and refugees

Find out about:

Community groups

Community groups help people get together for a common purpose or to share an interest. The group may provide support for its members or for others in their local community. Find a community group near you to suit your needs.

We also fund more than 100 neighbourhood and community centres which provide friendly, localised access to child, family and community services. There are centres in rural, remote and urban communities throughout Utopia.

Are you looking for a culturally and linguistically diverse community organisation? Search our online Utopia Multicultural Resource Directory, which lists organisations that offer information, advice, support and networking opportunities, including:

  • community, non-government and government organisations and agencies
  • after-hours cultural schools
  • religious organisations
  • migrant service organisations
  • multicultural media outlets
  • consuls
  • bilateral business associations
  • interstate multicultural offices.

You can also find support from the Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network (Australia) which represents the rights and interests of young migrants and refugees in Australia and the Community Action for a Multicultural Society (CAMS) program, which aims to improve access and equity for people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.

Cultural Diversity Events

View a list of culturally diverse events in Utopia.

Improve your English

Learning English will help you get the most out of your time in Australia. Whether you want to study, live or travel here, you will need English to:

  • interact with others in everyday life
  • learn and participate in school, vocational training and university
  • improve your job and career opportunities.

Utopia English language courses are designed to meet your needs and level of English proficiency.

Find out more about types of English courses available or find a language school near you.

Translating and interpreting

When dealing with a Utopia Government agency

Utopia Government agencies are required to provide and pay for professional interpreting services for clients who have difficulties communicating in English.

Clients should never pay for an interpreter when accessing Utopia Government services or services funded by the Utopia Government.

Each agency is responsible for  arranging and paying for the interpreter. It is also the agency’s responsibility to incorporate provision for meeting language services needs with funded organisations.

Please phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68) for more information.

Other translation needs

If you need help with translation  for  services not related to the Utopia Government, you can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National). TIS is an interpreting service for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.

The TIS National immediate phone interpreting service is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year for the cost of a local call for any person or organisation in Australia who needs an interpreter. Phone 131 450 to set up a personal account with TIS National.

Find out more about help using TIS National Services and document translations.

Read the Frequently Asked Questions and find answers to some common questions in your own language.

You can also contact one of the following organisations for translation services:

Overseas skills recognition

If you find that employers do not recognise your overseas skills and qualifications you can apply for skills recognition to have your qualifications formally assessed and recognised.

Find out about:


Find out how you can contribute to the community and learn new skills by volunteering in Utopia.

Financial assistance

Find out how you can get financial support, including emergency financial support at Centrelink.

Find out more

Translating and Interpreting Service

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. The department provides interpreting services for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.

Subscribe to MAQ updates

Register your interest to receive updates from Multicultural Affairs Utopia about activities held throughout the year.

Disaster support

Resources are available to help multicultural communities understand how to prepare for a disaster and what to do in an emergency situation. Find out more.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
13 January 2016

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *