Skip links and keyboard navigation

Student visas and health cover

International students require a student visa and health cover to study in Australia for more than 12 weeks.

Student visas

There are 7 different types of student visas:

  • Independent ELICOS (subclass 570)
  • Schools (subclass 571)
  • Vocational education and training (subclass 572)
  • Higher education (subclass 573)
  • Postgraduate research (subclass 574)
  • Non-award (subclass 575)
  • DFAT or Defence (subclass 576).

Find the right student visa for your studies. All student visas are granted by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Contact the department if you have any enquiries about student visas.

How to apply

In order to apply for a student visa, the course you want to complete and the provider offering it needs to be registered in the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students .

You can apply for a student visa as soon as you get a letter of offer or an electronic confirmation of enrolment for your registered course of study.

Find out about:

You can also get assistance in your home country by contacting your local Australian Government office for help with:

  • visa enquiries
  • the application process
  • finding out what documents you need to apply.

Streamlined student visa processing

You may be eligible for streamlined student visa processing if you are enrolling in a participating university or other higher education provider. This generally means reduced evidentiary requirements when applying for a student visa. Contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for more information.

Visas for short courses

You may be able to study a short course while you are here under another type of visa, depending on the course length.

Some courses less than 3 months (12 weeks) can be studied on a Visitor visa.

For students from eligible countries, some courses up to 4 months (17 Weeks) long can be done on a Working Holiday visa or Work and Holiday visa.

Student Guardian Visa

International students studying in Australia on a student visa may require a guardian if they are under 18 years. The guardian should have a Student Guardian visa.

Health cover

All international students studying in Australia under a student visa must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the length of their visa.

Find out what your OSHC insurance will cover.

OSHC providers

In Australia there are currently 5 OSHC providers:

Student visa news

Keep up to date with the latest changes to student visas for international students.

More information

Contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for more information about student visas.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
24 June 2014

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *