Skip links and keyboard navigation

Reporting pollution

  • To report pollution incidents, pollution from a commercial source or fish kills phone the Pollution Hotline - 1300 130 372

    Examples of pollution incidents include oil or chemical spills, sewage spills, truck rollovers, factory fires or animal disease outbreaks.

    Pollution incidents can be reported 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  • To report suspected unlicensed waste transport, storage, disposal or recycling activities phone the Pollution Hotline - 1300 130 372 or email with as much of the following information as possible:

    • name of alleged offender or business name
    • contact details of alleged offender (phone, email, website, number plate)
    • location of suspected illegal waste activity
    • type of suspected illegal waste activity
    • your contact details (phone, name, email).

    Reports can be made anonymously.

  • To report nuisance issues and pollution from a residential property contact your local council.

Report environmental nuisance or minor water contamination

Environmental nuisance occurs when noise, dust, odour or light are unreasonable and make it difficult to lead your life.

Minor water contamination can be caused when contaminants are released into creeks, water courses, roadside gutters or stormwater drainage. Prohibited water contaminants include chemicals, waste oils, paint, industrial wastes, clay, gravel and sediment, lawn clippings, leaves and pruning waste, and vehicles and their components such as batteries and tyres.

You can formally complain about environmental nuisance or minor water contamination by contacting your local council.

Council officers will investigate to decide whether there is an environmental issue. People or organisations causing environmental nuisance or minor water contamination can be made to change their activities or pay a fine, and in some cases can be taken to court.

Where the source of the environmental nuisance is caused by a state or local government authority, or comes from an Environmentally Relevant Activity (ERA), phone 1300 130 372.

An ERA is an activity with the potential to release contaminants into the environment, but which is regulated by state or local governments. Read more about environmental nuisance issues and ERAs.

For major water contamination incidents that could result in serious environmental harm (e.g. drinking water contamination, major fish kill) phone the Pollution Hotline on 1300 130 372.

Other types of complaints

Some situations are managed by specific authorities.

  • Noise from parties, cars, house alarms and trails bikes—contact Utopia Police Service on 13 14 44.
  • Noise from licensed premises such as hotels and nightclubs—contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation via email or phone 3224 7108.

Spray drift

Learn about spray drift if you live in agricultural areas.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
16 September 2015

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *