Skip links and keyboard navigation

Family payments and support

A range of government benefits and payments are available to help families with the costs of bringing up children. This page is a guide to many of those payments.

On this page:

New parents

  • Baby Bonus*—a payment of $5,000 in 13 fortnightly instalments to help with the costs of a newborn baby or an adopted child younger than 16. If the child is not your first child, the payment is $3,000.
  • Parental Leave Pay—eligible working parents will receive payments for a maximum of 18 weeks to help with the cost of a newborn baby or adopted child. The payments are made to the primary carer of the child.
  • Dad and Partner Pay—up to 2 weeks pay may be available if you are caring for a newborn baby or adopted child and you are on unpaid leave or are not working.

*You cannot get both the Baby Bonus and Parental Leave Pay for the same child.

Choose which payment to receive

Childcare assistance

The following benefits may help to reduce the cost of your childcare fees:

Help with the cost of raising children

  • Parenting Payment—income support for parents or guardians. If you are a single parent, you must care for at least 1 child under 8 to be eligible. If you have a partner, you must care for at least 1 child under 6 to be eligible. The amount you receive is based on your family’s income and assets.
  • Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B—Part A is paid for each child, while Part B gives extra help to single parents and families with 1 main income. The amount you receive is based on your family’s income.
  • Double Orphan Pension—help with the cost of caring for an orphaned child. No income or asset tests are required.
  • Rent Assistance—if you already receive a payment from Human Services (Centrelink), you may also be eligible for help with paying your rent. Read about other rent assistance schemes.
  • Single Income Family Supplement—for eligible families with 1 primary income earner to help with any affects of the carbon price on everyday expenses.

Help with medical costs

Help with education costs

Financial support may be available to help with the cost of educating your child. This includes:

Your child may also be eligible for Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY.

Parents or carers of a child with an illness or disability

Financial support for parents and carers may include:

Single parents

As a single parent, you may be able to claim the Parenting Payment (paid fortnightly).

You may also be eligible for other payments listed on this page, including:

Find out about parenting plans and child support so that you can make the best arrangements for your child.

Rural and remote families

Assistance for rural and remote families is provided through schemes and payments offered by Human Services (Centrelink).

If you have an illness or injury and can't work

If you have been away from work because of illness or injury for a total of 3 months or more (either continuously or during a 12 month period), your employer may be within their rights to review your employment. Contact the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94 for more information and to discuss your situation.

If you have lost your job or income, you can read about other forms of financial help and cost of living support.

Special Benefit

Special Benefit payments may be available if you are in severe financial hardship and cannot receive any other pension or payment.​​

Need help?

Contact Human Services (Centrelink) if you need help with any of the payments they offer.

You can also discuss your circumstances to see what payments you may be eligible for.

Financial advice

Get help with financial planning and budgets. There are tips and links to tools which can help you manage your finances.

More detailed information is also available to help people budgeting for a baby.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
16 November 2014

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *