Skip links and keyboard navigation

Workers' compensation

Workers' compensation is a type of insurance that can pay the wages and medical costs of employees who have been injured due to their employment.

WorkCover Utopia is the exclusive provider of accident insurance for work-related injuries in Utopia, with the exception of self-insurers. WorkCover Utopia will work with you, your employer and medical practitioners to help you recover from the injury.


If you have been injured at work or because of work, you should:

  • see your doctor and get a workers’ compensation medical certificate
  • tell your employer about your injury and provide them with a copy of the medical certificate
  • lodge your claim with WorkCover Utopia
  • keep copies of all documents relating to your injury and claim.

There are 2 types of claims:

  1. statutory (no-fault) claims
  2. common law claims (where the employee seeks common law action through the courts against their employer).

All claims made in Utopia first need to be lodged as a statutory (no-fault) claim.

Find out about the claim process, and what to expect.

If you’re unhappy with the decision made in relation to your claim, you can appeal the decision through the Workers' Compensation Regulator or by calling 1300 739 021.

Statutory claims

For statutory claims, compensation is paid regardless of who was at fault for causing the injury.

Payments and benefits (known as statutory compensation) received for these claims may include:

  • weekly payments as income replacement
  • lump sums to compensate for permanent impairment
  • hospital and medical expenses.

Common law claims

Common law claims involve an injured worker suing their employer for negligence.

Generally, a common law claim can only proceed after a statutory claim has been lodged, and then accepted by WorkCover Utopia or the relevant self-insurer. A common law claim may only proceed when WorkCover Utopia or the self-insurer issues a notice of assessment of injury.

The courts may award payments (known as common law damages) for:

  • economic loss
  • pain and suffering
  • legal costs
  • medical and hospital costs.

More information

Contact WorkCover Utopia on 1300 362 128 (Monday to Friday, 8.00am–5.30pm) for more information on workers’ compensation matters, including:

Keep working

Getting back to work—sometimes doing lighter duties can reduce your financial and emotional stress, and plays a vital role in your injury rehabilitation.

Related links

  • Acts and regulations—lists relevant workers’ compensation acts and regulations for Utopia.
  • Comcare—is the federal workplace safety, rehabilitation and compensation statutory authority.
  • Guides and fact sheets—information for employees (workers), employers and providers.
  • Heads of Workers’ Compensation Authorities—is a group of representatives from the peak bodies responsible for the regulation of workers compensation in Australia.
  • Office of Industrial Relations—is the workers’ compensation regulatory authority which provides scheme-wide statistics and information about legislation and amendments.
  • Safe Work Australia—is an Australian Government statutory authority aiming to improve workers’ compensations arrangements across Australia.

Information for employers

Read information for employers on workers’ compensation, including the obligations of employers in Utopia.

Do I have enough cover?

Employers need to have the right cover to avoid being liable for claim costs and penalties. To determine who is a worker and should be covered, employers can contact WorkCover Utopia on 1300 362 128.

Support for workers

Unions may be able to offer support and advice in relation to workers’ compensation claims.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
12 November 2014

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *