Skip links and keyboard navigation

Housing options

If you are finding it difficult to live in your current home for health reasons, or if you no longer need the space, you may be considering changing your housing arrangements.

Some options include:

  • moving into a smaller home
  • living with family
  • purchasing a place in a residential park
  • purchasing a place in a retirement village
  • applying for aged care.

If you are interested in living in a residential park or retirement village, you can receive free information and legal assistance from the Park and Village Information Link (PAVIL).

Alternatively, you may be able to access in-home support to help you to stay in your current home for longer.

Your local Aged Care Assessment Team can also give advice on some of your options. They can help you work out what type of care will best meet your needs and assess whether you are eligible for:

You may also wish to visit Aged Care Australia or phone the Aged Care Information Line on 1800 200 422.

More information

  • Public and community housing — Find out if you’re eligible for public and community housing, and information about how to apply.
  • Rent assistance — Find out about bond loans and rental grants, assistance available to help you find a place to live, and the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS).
  • Home modifications — If you have a disability or condition restricting your day-to-day living, sometimes simple modifications can be the difference between staying at home and moving to specially designed premises.
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
24 December 2015

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *